My photo
A lifetime passion in food and all things related to food!

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Gache Melee

Gache Melee
For my first ever recipe on the new website I thought it appropriate to do my favourite childhood recipe from my birthplace, Guernsey! A traditional Gache Melee.
Thinking back to my childhood I remember cold winter nights when mum would whip up a Gache Melee for a late night supper, with some apples from our ever overflowing fruit bowl, flour from the pantry and a few other bits (recipe below) we would soon be rewarded with delicious smells wafting from the kitchen then a streaming slice of yummy apple goodness and if we were really lucky we'd have a splash of double cream with it...
                  It was a favourite of mine, try it on your family. Enjoy!

 Hint – Traditionally made with Suet although in Australia “Copha” is a great substitute.

Recipe
450g Apples (peeled, cored & chopped)
140g Self Raising Flour
140g Sugar
100mls Milk
70g Suet (chopped small cubes)
10g Brown Sugar (Optional)

  1. Place all ingredients into a bowl and combine with a wooden spoon.
  2. Pour into a lined 7” by 9” bake dish.
  3. Bake at 150*C for 1 hr 45 mins
          (a nice twist is to add a sprinkle of brown suger to the top 15mins before the end of the cooking time)
  4. Cool slightly and serve with cream or ice cream or simply on its own.








1 comment: